I keep seeing this ‘drink more water’ ad that says something like: your body is not 75% coffee, and I’m like, “speak for yourself, I’m a college student.”
i heard the funniest time travel joke tomorrow
Ever watch a movie as an adult and find it’s actually about completely different things than you thought as a kid? When you’re nine, The Little Mermaid is a love story. When you’re thirty, it’s about parenting.
Ariel is sixteen. Some sixteen-year-olds are fully capable of long-term planning and informed decision-making, but the movie introduces us to Ariel in such a way as to be sure we know that she isn’t one of them. She’s the baby of a large, privileged family, daddy’s favourite, kind of scatterbrained, a little obsessive, and wants to be rebellious but is so sheltered she’s not even sure how that’s done. Her crush on Eric is less because of Eric than because she was already interested in humans and he’s the first one she’s had any sort of real contact with, even if he was unconscious for most of it. He’s very much an object to her, as represented by the statue. Eric didn’t like the statue. He felt it didn’t represent him. Ariel really knows nothing about him, so to her the statue is an acceptable surrogate.
It’s pretty clear that Ariel had never had a crush on a boy before. Her behaviour isn’t that of a woman in love, it’s that of a girl who thinks being moony and obsessive is just how ‘love’ is done. And if left to her own devices, she probably would have gotten bored with her statue in a few weeks and found some other distraction. The catalyst for the whole story is not Ariel saving Eric, but King Triton’s overreaction. By throwing a fit and making her think she had nothing to lose, he left her open to Ursula’s plot.
TL;DR. King Triton should have calmed his mertits and encouraged his daughter to find safer ways of enjoying her hobby, and none of that would have ever happened.
- You don’t have to achieve great things by the time you’re 25
- You have intrinsic value above and beyond your perceived utility to other people and society at large.
- You don’t have to have sex, or have sex in any way that you find uncomfortable or unpleasant, to keep anyone’s love or good opinion of you. They didn’t love you or think very well of you to start with if they demand it.
- You don’t have to stay with someone who isn’t meeting your emotional or sexual needs because they need you, or you’ve been with them for awhile, or you need to be in a relationship. You need you. Your time is your own and it is finite.
- It’s ok to work at a job you enjoy that doesn’t make you miserable even if it’s not a career and it won’t “lead to anything.”
- Your life is not a narrative. It is not leading to anything, there is no overarching thesis, it does not have themes beyond the usual shared cultural experiences of your time and place. This is ok. It does not mean that your life is without purpose or meaning.
- It’s ok not to like or get along with the vast majority of people you encounter, so long as you afford them the same respect, courtesy and dignity that they afford you.
- Expensive is not always better.
- Failure is temporary if you’re still alive.
- People are both much better and much worse than you’d suspect, but usually not all at once.
- Stop thinking of your future self as a different person and it will be easier to prevent money and health problems.
- Let people help you, lean on them when you need to, and be available to help, but don’t swing too far in either direction. Try to carry your half of the life basket as evenly as you can.
- Set boundaries, and do not be afraid to kick people out of your life who disregard them. You will not end up alone and unloved. People who love you will be ok with your boundaries.
- Your power does not come from money or beauty, but from seeing life steadily and wholly, from a curious and thoughtful mind, and from your ability to say no when you want to, and yes when you want to, and I don’t know when you don’t know.
- There will be bad times, maybe lots of bad times, but not only bad times.
- Love will not heal the wounds in your soul, but love can give you the impetus to begin the work of healing yourself.
- Life might be a long series of starting over, and that’s alright.
- You’re really cool, you’re really beautiful, you’re really special. Really. Not to everyone, but to a lot of someones sometimes.
contrary to popular belief, youre not actually a better fan of something if you blatantly refuse to give any form of critical thought towards it
Women firefighters douse flames during the Pearl Harbor attack.
Oh hay look women of colour were an integral part of the ‘cool’ part of history too, how about that. They were like. Doing stuff that supposedly only heroic white dudes had done. That makes women valid participants in collective history now, right? Right? This is in high school history books now, right? Right? Huh?
It reminds me of that one famous painting/sculpture of the soldiers raising the flag
I like this one a lot better.
Girls don’t want boys.
Girls want a release date for The Winds of Winter.